Monday 22 September 2014

Septembers woolly news

Where to begin........ 

The best woolly news happened yesterday.  I had been randomly selected for a Lush Pod KAL forum prize by Jo at Shinybees  AND my cardigan had been chosen by Louise from Knit British as her favourite finished object (FO)!  I was really pleased about the forum prize (a Tin Can Knits epattern book) but super happy at being selected for a FO prize.  Louise is going to hand deliver my woolly prize at Yarndale!

Isla of Axholme photo of Isla in Knit Me shawl pattern Inspiration Knits
Knit Me
After finishing my Lush cardigan last month I was on the look out for a straightforward project that would use up some stash.  At the same time Louise from Inspiration Knits released her latest pattern Knit Me, an easy stocking stitch shawl with picot edging and optional beading. I made Knit Night, the sister version, earlier this year so Knit Me caught my eye.  Louise was also arranging a Knit Me Tonight14 KAL to coincide with the release so I decided to join in and cast on with my remaining skein of Fyberspates Twizzle Silk which I purchased at Yarndale last year.  

It look me just over two weeks to finish and overall I'm happy with it. The colours in the yarn are really vivid and someone said it reminded them of a Monet painting. I did find it hard to keep my stitches even though, a result I think of the the silk content of the yarn and the stocking stitch of the shawl.  

Isla of Axholme lacy scarf work in progress
My WIP Crack Away entry
If one KAL is not enough I joined the WIP Crack Away KAL. This has been organised by Knit British Louise and Nic from Yarns from the Plain as a follow up to the Lush Pod KAL.  They came up with the brilliant idea of a KAL where instead of starting a new project the aim is to finish as many WIP's (works in progress) as you can until the end of the KAL (15th November). My entry is a lacy scarf I started back in April and would dearly love to finish soon.

While I made a small dint in my stash with Knit Me, I topped it up again last week! Victoria at  Eden Cottage Yarns has just increased her selection of milled dyed yarns to complement her range of hand dyed.  I bought two skeins of Whitfell chunky which is 100% baby alpaca in damson.
Isla of Axholme Eden Cottage Yarns whitfell chunky 100% baby alpaca damson
Eden Cottage Yarns Whitfell chunky in Damson
 It is so soft and should be fairly durable due to it being two ply and worsted spun. The colour is a rich purple but not too dark that any stitch details would be lost.  I am going to make the Dufton hat which Victoria designed and with the remaining wool some 
Langrigg mitts also designed by Victoria. I will let you know how I get on! 

We had our first Social Knitwork on Sunday at Axholme Tearoom in Crowle, North Lincolnshire.  It was a great success.  We were joined by six lovely ladies and the two hours flew by with much chatter, knitting and crochet.  There was an everlasting pot of tea thanks to Jules and Mike and a great selection of cakes including eggless Parkin.  Our next meeting is Sunday 19th October - can't wait!    

Finally it's Yarndale this weekend! I can't believe it's been a year since I went to my first ever yarn event and felt totally giddy at all the amazing wool for sale! Needless to say I am going again on Saturday with my best friend and can't wait to increase my stash! We are also going to the podcaster / podcaster listener meet up at 3pm in the Food in the Pens area.  Will I see you there? 

Isla of Axholme Yarndale 2013 crochet bunting
Yarndale 2013


2 comments:

  1. How exciting, winning a prize for knitting! You must be thrilled! The shawl goes well with the cardi too. I love that damson wool, the colour is gorgeous. Afraid I'm not going to Yarndale, I would've loved to but it clashes with a weekend in Germany with my girlfriends, it was the only date we could all make. Still, a pretty exciting weekend for both of us! Am following you on Bloglovin now too :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have a great time in Germany. I'm sure there will be a Yarndale 2015! Thank you for the follow. I love Bloglovin for following blogs it's so easy and straightforward.

      Delete