Wednesday 4 February 2015

The Year in Books: February 2015

It was great to join with Laura and other like minded folks in the #theyearinbooks Twitter chat last month. Laura posed some thought provoking and at times pretty tough questions and the hour flew by.
In January I finished Robert Harris's An Officer and a Spy. I found this book really interesting and loved reading it.  As I mentioned last month the book tells the story of the Dreyfus Affair. While I have not had the opportunity to fully compare the novel to the facts I understand that it largely adheres to the truth. It is a pretty shocking story including the lengths people would go to in the belief they had acted correctly and how others attempt to put things right. If you like your history novels or just fancy trying something different that I heartedly recommend An Officer and a Spy.


Grayson Perry Playing in the Gallery coverI have also been reading a knitting pattern book. To non knitters this will be of no interest so I will keep this brief. I was very lucky to receive Kate Davies new book Yokes (which contains 11 yoke patterns) for Christmas. The first half of the book explores the background and origins of the circular yoke. I found it a fascinating read and learnt so much about the yoke design and the stories of those who designed, made and wore them.

My February read is Grayson Perry's Playing in the Gallery. It is not quite a year since I finished my degree so thought it was about time I started to include some non fiction into my life again! I plan to alternate between non fiction and fiction books this year to get a healthy balance.

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to hear what you makes of Grayson Perry's book - I love listening to him talk! My daughter is half way through her Art History A level & loving it - it's teaching me lots too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am really glad your daughter is enjoying her Art History A level. Last year I finished my Art History degree with the Open University. So far the book is interesting and covers lots of the things I am sure your daughter is studying.

      Delete
  2. I looked up the Wikipedia entry on the Dreyfus Affair - poor man, he was treated appallingly. I've put this on my To Be Read list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could not believe at times what I was reading! I look forward to hearing what you make of the book.

      Delete
  3. I would love to own the Kate Davies yokes book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great book with stunning photos of both the garments and the different locations Kate visited as part of her research.

      Delete
  4. I too have yet to come by a copy of Yokes, but I am a huge fan of Kate's writing so I'm sure it won't be long.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see the academic side of her shine through in part one.

      Delete