Monday 10 November 2014

The Year in Books: November

Once again I am joining in with Circle of Pine Trees and The Year In Books. My October read was one of The Man Booker Prize Shortlisted books - We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves by Karen Joy Fowler.

The Good
I knew nothing of the storyline before I began the book so was entirely surprised when the twist came about a quarter of the way through!  Without giving the story away the book is about family relations and how an event can effect different members of the family in different ways.  It's told from the viewpoint of Rosemary, one of the daughters in the family, and explores how she understands her family life.  There are some very thought provoking chapters along the way!

The not so good 
I was not a massive fan of the final part of the story.  It seemed a bit too straightforward.  However, it did tie everything together so perhaps I'm being too picky!  The other thing which might bother some people, but I didn't mind, is that the story jumps backwards and forwards in time a lot which, if you think in a chronological way, might make it hard to keep track. 

I would recommend We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves - its a book based elements of fact and I thought it was an interesting read. I would be interested in your thoughts if you have read the book.  Did you know about the twist before you started reading it?

Next Up - November reads 
The Year in Books November readsI had just about finished the book when the winner of The Man Booker Prize was announced.  So Richard Flanagan's The Narrow Road to the Deep South is my current read.

Also coming with me on holiday this month will be another shortlisted book Neel Mukherjee's The Lives of Others.  For a bit of variety I will also be taking two books I have recently purchased - Playing to the Gallery by Grayson Perry and Laura Cumming's A face to the World On Self-Portraits.  It is unlikely I will read everything while I am away what with all the knitting projects I plan to take!  I will let you know how I get on next month!

6 comments:

  1. I haven't read We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves but what a good title for a book. I hope you enjoy your November reads x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. struggling with The lives of others at the moment.......

      Delete
  2. I've seen We Are All Completely Beside Ourselves on the bookshelf and have picked it up more than once. I think the next time it may just make it into the basket.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its worth a read (especially if its on offer!)

      Delete
  3. We Are All Comp,ethyl Beside a Ourselves is my book choice for this month, looking forward to it x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Penny. After all I have said about it.......

      Delete